Montage of canal images. Follow this link to skip navigation.
Link to the canal archive

Canal Archive: Bridging the Years

Link to home page
Link to canals section
Link to railways section
Link to aviation section
Link to learning zone
Link to about this site
Link to send feedback
Navigation ends

Old Manchester Racecourse - site of No. 9 Docks.

Old Manchester Racecourse - site of No. 9 Docks.

Go back to the records from the map.

T1051. The view shows the site of what was to become the new No 9. Dock opened by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra on the 13th July 1905. The Manchester Ship Canal Company first approached the Manchester Racecourse Company in August 1899 informing them that the Ship Canal Company were to seek powers to compulsorily purchase the land for construction of a new dock and warehouses. Negotiations had already got underway when another buyer stepped in. However, under the Ship Canal Act of 1893, the Ship Canal Company had first refusal on the land, and this brought about the need for litigation. It was not until the Spring of 1901 that the Court of Appeal upheld a decision annulling the sale of the Racecourse to Trafford Park Estates Limited. In order to buy the racecourse the Canal Company sold the Duke's Dock in Liverpool to the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board for £522,000. The Ship Canal Company took possession of the land in 1902. It was to become the site for the largest dock of its kind at that time.
Publisher
ContributorMrs Elsie Mullineux
Creatorcorporatename - Manchester Ship Canal Company
Datecreation - Unknown
TypePhotographic prints - Black and White
Formatdimension.H - 120mm
dimension.W - 163mm
Identifier651
SourceSalford City Archive / The Frank Mullineux Collection
LanguageEN
Relation
CoverageLocation.Creation Site - No 9 Dock, Salford (O.S. Ref: 380660, 397330)
RightsManchester Ship Canal Company